Cases, Transactions, Work Experience
- United States and foreign patents for clients in a wide variety of industries, including optics and photonics, laser radar, thin films and semiconductor fabrication, flow metering and instrumentation, software, medical devices, fuel cells, recreational equipment, heavy industry, petroleum, and agricultural machinery.
- Drafted and prosecuted many patents in the area of solid state physics, including thin-film and surface analysis technologies, laser radar, waveguides, polarization control, optical correlation, liquid crystal and electrochromic devices as well as in image processing, search engines, and photogrammetry.
- Extensive patent work in solar, wind, and alternative fuels for the U.S. Department of Energy and the Midwest Research. Institute for scientists at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory. •Image Search Engine and Portal Services Agreements.
- Joint R&D agreement and cross license of photonics technology and patents with Lockheed Martin Corporation (photonics/optical correlation technology).
- Technology and patent license with Clorox (water filtration technologies).
- Technology and patent license with Brita Wasser-Filter-Systeme GmbH, a German corporation (water filtration technologies).
- Technology and patent license with VA Tech Voest MCE GmbH of Linz, Austria (hydroelectric technologies).
- Software source code and hardware license with Osaka Gas Information System Research Institute Co., Ltd., Osaka, Japan (speech recognition technology).
- Software and hardware license with United Parcel Service (speech recognition technology).
- Software license with AT&T/Lucent Technologies (utility facilities data base and information management).
- Software license with Bellcore (utility facilities data base and information management).
- Joint R&D agreement with Thompson Consumer Electronics (photonics/visual recognition technologies).
- Technology and patent license with Owens Corning (roofing systems/manufacturing process).
- Software source code license with City of Tucson, Arizona.
- Technology and patent license with SOPRECTAC, S.A., of Boulogne-Billoncourt, France (metallurgy technologies).
- Technology and patent license with Benteler Industries, Inc., U.S. subsidiary of Benteler GmbH, Germany (exhaust emissions technologies developed at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory).
- Technology and patent license with American Hydro-Surgical Instruments, Inc. (medical device technology).
Professional and Trade Associations
- Colorado Bar Association – Past Chair of the Patent, Trademark & Copyright Section
- Boulder County Bar Association
- Licensing Executive Society
- State Bar Association of North Dakota
- Larimer County Bar Association
- Longmont Area Economic Council
- Longmont Chamber of Commerce
- Rotary International
Admitted to Practice (State)
- North Dakota
Admitted to Practice (Federal)
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court for the District of North Dakota
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Over 30 years in patents, technology licensing, software, trademarks & copyrights, trade secrets, intellectual property litigation, information technology.
University of Denver College of Law
University of North Dakota College of Engineering